Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Beautiful People



During my incredibly busy day yesterday I managed to squeeze in a bit of 'E!' watching. Yes I know it is complete garbage, but I was at my father’s and it happened to be on while I was doing a crossword puzzle. So whilst trying to think what greyish Eurasian horse was hunted to extinction in 1909, I stared in an almost hypnotic state at the beautiful people gracing the television screen. It was the red carpet interviews of a big Hollywood award ceremony; I’m not sure which one, nor do I really care.

I’m not really too interested in what the celebs were gushing about, but I’m a sucker for a pretty frock, and so I watched. I couldn’t help reflect on how amazingly beautiful all of these people are. And how that makes me, one of the common people, feel. What surprised me the most is I’m actually ok with it.

When I was younger I couldn’t help but feel less than desirable when flicking through a magazine or watching television. I’m not saying that I am now the picture of high self-esteem, what woman is? But I have finally come to terms with the fact that I don’t have to look like Paris Hilton or Angelina Jole. That brings me to another point, even though both of these women are considered beautiful, there are men who will disagree that one or the other are bastions of aesthetic perfection. So you can’t really win. I know that a skinny blonde with big boobs and big lips will always be at the top of the male fantasy list, but everyone has different ideas of beauty, so you cannot please everyone.

I’m actually kind of glad I’m not part of the Beautiful Parade. I mean of course I wouldn’t hesitate to trade places with Catherine Zeta Jones (except for the old husband, she can keep him). But it must be hard to live up to those ideals of perfection. These days you have to look as attractive as ever when you are 9 months pregnant as well as the day you are let out of the hospital with a miniature beautiful person in tow. And what if your offspring aren’t deemed beautiful? Poor little bastards, that would be tough. 45 –year-olds are expected to have the figure of a 14-year-old, and often the face to match. Screw all that plastic surgery; I think I’d rather age gracefully. Or decline rapidly in an alcoholic stupor – we’ll see how things pan out.

Where am I going with this you may ask? Well it is more of a personal discovery more than anything. But I feel for those teenage girls out there, and indeed women of all ages, who cannot accept that not everyone can be a cover-girl. My younger sister is a beautiful young woman who is at the school of performing arts. She is a very talented actress and dancer, and fortunately has the required physical attributes for her chosen profession. But I worry that she will feel the pressure more acutely then many of us. Her ‘look’ will be scrutinised often, which cannot be good for one’s confidence.

Despite the continuous outrage over THE MEDIA’s portrayl of beauty, things are not going to change anytime soon. Beauty has always had an ideal; it is not much different from the 18th century when a pretty face could get you far. I appreciate beauty in all aspects of life, but I’m not going to let it consume my own esteem.

Oh and I never did figure out the horse. Any ideas?

7 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

Complete drivel my friend, complete and utter drivel.
Yes women are hard on themselves and each other, but I can't remember ever hearing a guy in a pub say 'wow, look how she holds herself, that's hot'.
Men do have some part in dictating what is attractive in the other sex. It was a man who came up with the corset after all!

February 02, 2006 11:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a man who came up with the corset after all!

Yeah, but it was women who wore them! If women refused to wear the corset (or makeup or whatever), do you think all men are suddenly gonna turn gay and not run after women? So women are part of the problem as well. Some women give into the pressure of some men (usually these women are the celebrities). This in turn causes all the other women who look upto celebrities to copy them to be more like them. When that certain trend becomes more mainstream guys who initially never cared for it will also join in and think anyone girl who is not following the trend is not beautiful (guys are as much sheep as girls). So I think both sexes are to blame in this.

February 02, 2006 5:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just not true, it went against their culture, society and religion to disobey their husbands and other men in the community.

I agree with that Michelle. However I don't agree with this: It's been deeply ingrained in humanity the need for women to please men.

If that was true then maternalistic societies would have never existed.

Anyways, what I wrote on the previous post wasn't about history but how things are now. Women have broken cultural and social taboos that have existed for centuries. For example they have gained the right to vote and work. And nowadays most people in western cultures don't think anything of women having extra-maritial sex. It wasn't men who brought about these changes. It was women who got fed up with how they were treated and fought for it and won what they have now. My point is, isn't it time women do the same about the looks and beauty thing? Waiting for men to do anything about it will never get women anywhere. By the way I am not saying men do not have any responsibilties to correct things. Just saying that if history thought us anything it is that women should not wait for men to do anything about it.

The need to be more attractive is a natural 'survival of the fittest' instinct.

In evolution "fittest" means the most able to survive a change in environmental conditions. Beauty has no bearing on the human ability to survive. However intelligence and power are very important. And we humans have gained enough intelligence to supress certain parts of the natural instincts that were acquired during our evolution. Most of us know that we personally do not have to reproduce for the human species to survive.

February 03, 2006 6:49 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Of course there are women who defy fashion and don't worry about beauty in the traditional sense. But to think all women are going to think the same way is a little naive. People are not defined purely by sex. Myself I wear makeup and heels etc, and don't really plan to give them up. I think that it is fine to take care in your appearance, but it is hard to live up to some of the ideals of beauty.

February 06, 2006 8:00 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Thanks Bindi :)

February 06, 2006 8:02 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

I did read that post Steve, but as you yourself said there are dirrering ideals of beauty. I myself do not think Paris is particularly pretty, but she wouldn't have got where she is if she were a rich heiress who was also short and dumpy with mousey brown hair.

February 09, 2006 5:54 pm  
Blogger Mark T said...

Three simple words: "Tits and Arse"

:-)

February 13, 2006 9:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home