Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Friday, January 13, 2006

It was the salmon mousse

Disclaimer: As I write most of this (everything apart from the first couple of sentences) I am both sick and slightly drunk. Initially I was just sick, but I have found that eating little, staying in bed all day, and then drinking half a bottle of red wine results in inebriation. Who would have thought? Anyway, my point is – this may ramble a bit and lack total comprehension in some parts.

I've been thinking about death lately, a cheery subject I know. I haven't been thinking about my own mortality as such, but more about what I actually believe happens after the big D strikes.

Being agnostic, I have no real concept of ‘life after death’ to believe in. In fact, when I think about the possibility of an afterlife the logical part of my mind goes into hysterical laughter (it may be logical, but is also a little maniacal).
Deep down, I feel that I can’t believe in a heaven or whatever else might be out there. But I want to.

I have had two people very close to me die in the last 15 months, and I feel I need to believe that something else has happened to them. I am not so concerned about there being nothing out there for myself, but for those I love; I want to believe they are in some way watching us. I realise that this need for an afterlife is one of the bases for religion. Unfortunately I am unable to accept many of the ideals of Christianity and Judaism, and to be honest I haven’t looked too much into other established religions, but I’m pretty sure they are not for me.

So I face a bit of a conundrum; the struggle between what I want to believe and that which I can believe.

Despite my logical view on such matters, sometimes one will experience moments in life where you think ‘there has to be more then what science has to offer’. Sometimes I will look at a piece of art and be almost reduced to tears. These works are often of a religious nature, where the artist has believed so deeply in something that it emanates through their art. Michelangelo’s Pieta is one of the most beautiful sculptures ever produced. It’s not just the craftsmanship or material, but the essence of the work that captures the viewer. And then there is nature’s own beauty that looks as if it has been executed by the hand of a master.

But I am going of the topic. What I am really trying to say is that life itself is filled with such wondrous things, how can it suddenly end for a person?
And yet I know it must, but somehow, I don’t want it to.

8 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Don't mean to laugh here, but I am. Was just about to do a post on the afterlife myself! His 100th birthday's been around the blogs a lot so perhaps you've seen where Albert Hoffman, the inventor of LSD, was just asked that question and the reporter said he seemed a little surprised by the question and answered: "Well, I go back where I came from, that's all." (No word on where that was.)

January 14, 2006 3:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it feels to have all those emotions and thoughts running through your head as I recently lost a loved one. I think that the best belief you can have is the one that gets you through the day and makes you feel comfortable when you think about it. I personally believe that when we die we don't really leave those that we love but we are somewhere out there watching over them and remembering them. My mum has just been writing about similar stuff on her blog http://tanebella.blogspot.com/
It is not fair when people die especially when they really haven't been alive for that long, but if they have touched your own life in some way then their life had purpose, however short it was and that is a good thing. Anyhow I am rambling. Sorry.

January 15, 2006 5:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tell me. How did we all die at once?

January 15, 2006 6:04 pm  
Blogger Yukkione said...

I feel the same way quite often Lisa. Thing is that I have felt that way since I was quite young, and the more knowledge I have, and the more I think about it, I am no closer to feeling I have an answer.If there is a creator and all that, then this is the way it made me. So I dont worry to much. btw, your profile pic is amoung the most beautiful I have ever seen. cheers

January 18, 2006 1:17 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Thank you LOC, I'm flattered :).

January 18, 2006 8:02 pm  
Blogger velvet orange said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 11, 2007 1:06 pm  
Blogger velvet orange said...

It might surprise you, but according to at least one religion the affirmation of an "afterlife" (or more precisely an "in-between-state") is actually be the result of VERY rigorous logic, a logic often more rigorous than western science is willing apply. In Buddhism, a logical analysis of the world, (employing basically the same empirical methodology that science does), with particular focus on the relationship of cause and effect, leads to the conclusion of a "mindstream" or "mental continuum" - albeit while negating the existence of an unchanging, intrinsic "self of persons" or "of things". So don't lose hope or faith (even though "faith" is only the weakest of religious foundations, the strongest being wisdom). Look around the internet (or just ask your local tibetan lama ;)) and see what ancient buddhist scholars like Dignaga, Vasubandu, Asanga und Dharmakirti or Nagarjuna or the other Prasangikas have to say about the logical analysis of the "world" in works like the Hetuchakra, Abhidharma-kosa, Mūlamadhyamakakārikā or the Tibetan Bardo Thodol. If you're sharp and persistent and can see through the cultural barriers of wording (ie. translation inadequacies and one's own ethnocentrism), you should find your way to a solid understanding of the "afterlife" grounded IN logic. and if you then apply meditative concentration on that understanding, one day you might even have a direct experience confirming it and you'll never have worry about "proving" it to yourself again. cool, unexpected side effect of this application logic? your world becomes sooooo much more beautiful.

:) ya, i know, that was heavy. probably heavier than the intention of your original question. just thought it might be useful in the long-term.

December 11, 2007 1:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dee hi iholdtheworldbutastheworld.blogspot.com blogger found your site via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

February 11, 2013 9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home