Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Intolerant Tolerant

I always considered myself a tolerant, in fact accepting, person. I don’t judge people (well I don’t think I do) by race, sex, sexual orientation, class, age or physical appearance. I would like to add religion to that list, however I often find myself intolerant of people who are themselves intolerant. I do not know people from a vast range of different religions. I know a couple Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists and have never had arguments or issues with them as people. Perhaps the religion itself (there is definitely a lot I do not agree with in the Muslim faith), but not the people. The religion I encounter the most, as most of us do, is Christianity – in all its various forms. The friends I have who are Christian are a tolerant bunch, maybe not always accepting, but tolerant. I know they accept me for who I am, a person who doesn’t live my life the way they believe a good person should. But yet they are accepting. I in turn am tolerant of their beliefs, until they are intolerant. Then my own intolerance sets in. Therefore, I cannot call myself tolerant. I am intolerant of my intolerance. So where does that leave me? Confused. And intolerant – which is not what I want to be. But is a tolerant person a paradox within itself, as you would have to be a saint to be tolerant of intolerant people. And of course it is against a saint’s religion to accept certain people. I might stop now, before I wind myself into a knot of confusion and despair.
If you think you are a truly tolerant person, please explain to me your secret.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why be tolerant of everyones beliefs? Their are certain opinions that so absolutely contridict your own core moral values that you should stand against them i.e. someone drowning kittens.

As for the others, like the hypothetical person intolerant of all religions other than their own, you are probably mistaking intolerance for dislike. Remember that all 'tolerate' basically means is 'you put up with it'. As South Park character Mr. Garrison said 'You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane, or you tolerate a bad cold, it can still piss you off.'

November 02, 2005 11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That awesome anonymous guy is me. I selected the wrong name option.

November 02, 2005 11:04 pm  
Blogger Drone said...

Lis, yep it is a great irony def, I think what it really shows is that we are tolerant only of things we like which sounds obvious but the fact is that it is our nature to oppose and seek to defeat that which we do not like.

This is a difficult thing to supress and while intolerance in it's extreme forms should be supressed I am a little suspicious of an all pervasive "tolerance" as it leads to a grey world where everything is relative and open to change, surely some things are true and good and worth defending even if that meens being a little "intolerant" of those who seek to tear them down.

A quote on Mr Chesswas's blog made me chuckle the other day, "Dont be so open-minded your brain falls out"

Cheers
MT

November 03, 2005 12:27 am  
Blogger A. J. Chesswas said...

I know I'm probably the last person you'd ask for an opinion on tolerance; but incidentally I wrote on the topic a while ago:

http://agrichristian.blogspot.com/2005/09/tolerant-fundamentalist_14.html

November 03, 2005 10:02 am  
Blogger Lis said...

I don't know whether I am so much as confusing intolerance with dislike as WANTING to tolerate that which I dislike. For example, I might dislike the way a certain person behaves, but I would hope that I would tolerate it as long as their actions were not harming anyone else. Drowning kittens = hurting kittens. Therefore, I will not tolerate it. Screaming baby = annoying but not essentially harming others, therefore I can tolerate it. But I cannot tolerate intolerant people. I don't like it, like I don't particularly like screaming babies (though, perhaps on a bigger scale). But maybe I can't tolerate intolerance as it CAN be potentially harmful to other people, e.g Hitler and the Jews (I know that is a competely extreme case, but I like to use hyperbole for illustration). Or burning women at the stake because they were believed to be witches when experimenting with medicinal cures or just for being particularly ugly. History is full of suppression, mass murders and holocousts due to basic intolerance.

A.J - you are welcome to comment, I'm open to discussion and debate :)

November 03, 2005 3:56 pm  
Blogger Foggy in Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 03, 2005 7:56 pm  
Blogger A. J. Chesswas said...

pink panda are you on P?

November 06, 2005 7:12 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

I would say Pink Panda is going beyond intolerance there...

November 06, 2005 9:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home