Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Monday, December 05, 2005

0900ZODIAC

The signs of the Zodiac. I don’t understand it, but I don’t dismiss it. As I have no idea how astrologers claim it works I am not going to intentionally defend nor attack it. I’m just here to ponder.
It has always interested me; I’ll check my horoscope now and then and have read a fair bit about my own zodiac sign. But do I really believe it, I’m not really sure.

My star sign is Libra, and of all of the signs it is the one I would definitely identify the most with. The traits I have that are specific to Libra are:
- a sense of fairness
- annoyingly indecisive
- love of art
- hate of conflict and bloodshed
- laid-back with rare but strong bursts of intense anger
- more idealistic than realistic
- lazy in domestic duties
- tendency to overindulge in the finer things in life (wine, chocolate, sleeping)

Also, the health problems Librans are most likely to suffer from are in the lower back and kidney region – I have had some quite serious kidney problems in the past.

So that is me; I challenge anyone who knows me to disagree. But how can we all be categorised into just twelve different types? Of course you can pick and choose from the list of traits, personally I haven’t come across any within the Libra sign that I wouldn’t agree with. My boyfriend Luke is definitely a Leo, even though he doesn’t believe in it – outgoing, confident, strong-willed, a little vain. Michelle would agree that she is a Virgo – very organised and tidy, loyal, well groomed (I didn’t mean to describe you like a dog with those last two comments Michelle!).

What really got me thinking about this was a horoscope I read on Friday. I was feeling quite down that day and holed myself up at home, little enthusiasm to go anywhere or see anyone. In fact it was that day I wrote my Christmas blog, and you’ll find that far from cheery. Then I read my horoscope on MSN. It was along the lines of: ‘Libra, you are not yourself today and have little motivation to do anything. Don’t isolate yourself from loved ones, your depression will pass.’
It described my situation exactly! Coincidence? Probably. But it got me thinking.
Do I really believe that the planets were aligned that day so that every Libran in the world felt as miserable as me? No. But it was just a little uncanny.

Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts on the topic. What is your zodiac sign, do identify with it, do you believe in it or think that is all hippy-dippy crap?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a capricorn, I have a goatee... wooah!

January 01, 2006 10:22 pm  
Blogger Mark T said...

Im a Leo, and I think Im probably the typical sort - out going, life and soul of the party, great to be with, modest, etc :-)

I think its also true that Gemini's are two faced. Ive never been out with/known a libra though

January 13, 2006 1:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh we're great. Trust me, it's in the stars.

January 13, 2006 4:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to write something as soon as I figure out my password

January 13, 2006 4:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To rebel against a powerful political, economic, religious, or social establishment is very dangerous and very few people do it, except, perhaps, as part of a mob. To rebel against the "scientific" establishment, however, is the easiest thing in the world, and anyone can do it and feel enormously brave, without risking as much as a hangnail. Thus, the vast majority, who believe in astrology and think that the planets have nothing better to do than form a code that will tell them whether tomorrow is a good day to close a business deal or not, become all the more excited and enthusiastic about the bilge when a group of astronomers denounces it.
--Isaac Asimov

The concept that the planets and stars move the way they do to tell us our future and personality is ridiculous.

January 15, 2006 2:29 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

And what is your star sign Mr Anonymous?

January 16, 2006 2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well how about you use astrology and my comments above to determine what my star sign is.

Anyways, interesting blog you got here. First NZ blog I have seen.

January 17, 2006 10:44 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Well, not being an astrologist I wouldn't know. But I'm going to go with either Taurus or Aquarius, the more sceptical signs.

Isn't it funny that I just assumed that you are male? Of course you may not be, but you didn't correct me in addressing you as Mr. I think it may have been the Asimov quote. He has a strong male readership.
Sorry if you are in fact a woman.

January 18, 2006 12:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I am an Aries. And yes I am male. However I have not read any of Asimov's fiction stuff. I rarely read fiction.

January 18, 2006 12:57 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

I think you can learn just as much from fiction. Although I am not an Asimov fan, I don't really like fantasy.

January 18, 2006 1:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the best blogs I think that I have read - infact, Ive been through almost all of your blogs, and your style of writing is fantastic, and so interesting - I think I have just spent the last 2 hours at work reading through as many as I can :-)
Keep it up !!

March 30, 2006 1:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home