Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

84 freakin 50

I am a student. A poor, some might say impoverished student. Have been for 5 years now. No, I do not know the luxury that is money. So you can imagine my dismay when I got home from uni today, (after paying a, what I thought to be, hefty fine of $14.00 at the uni library) and found a letter from the Wellington Council. Now I am not a driver, and as far as I know I have had no other dealings with her honour the mayor, so I knew that it must be from...the library.

Sure enough it was a letter informing me of my fines, but imagine my astonishment when I read AMOUNT OUTSTANDING: $84.50. That's right, $84.50 people! What's more I have 21 days to pay the fine or big bad men come around and smash my windows, or something to that effect. AND I have been officially suspended from my library borrowing privileges, alas what ever shall I do!

Now, it was 6 books, 4 weeks overdue, but still I feel the fine is rather steep. And one of the 'books' is described as the following:

TITLE: untitled AUTHOR: not found

A little suspicious me thinks, there is no way I am paying 10.50 for that mysterious 'book'.

So, intelligent people who read this blog, any suggestions of how to overcome this predicament will be greatly appreciated. Some ideas that have already been given (courtesy of Ewen) are:

1. Have my boyfriend pay it (because that is what good boyfriends do)
2. Sell my soul to the library, which will then haunt the floors of the library, warning all those who enter to bring back their books promptly.
3. Sell the rights to my blog for the bargain price of $84.50

I look forward to your suggestions.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

I like 8 as well, wold you be my stand in? You could keep the 30 cents as payment. I'll even throw in the dead moth.

October 05, 2005 4:47 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

As Ewen said, that is what a GOOD boyfriend would do. We both agreed that might rule you out :)

October 05, 2005 5:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

9. Make 84 and a half oragami cranes and sell them for $1 each.
10. Give a stand-up comedy routine and charge people to attend.
11. Collect dead moths and sell them to other students who want to get out of their fines.
12. Sell some really expensive item to me at a bargain price of $84.50.
13. Go to the library and throw some books out the window, then go outside and collect them. Sell the books and use the money to pay the library fine, all the while chuckling to yourself at the fact that your fine was paid at the libraries expense.

Also, tell me when you're going to do 8. cause I want to come and lau.. i mean, provide emotional support as well.

October 06, 2005 11:19 am  
Blogger Lis said...

Ewe, if I sold you the Original Bailey for $84.50, would you take it? Hypothetically of course.

October 06, 2005 8:25 pm  
Blogger ZenTiger said...

Steep library fines are a sure sign of the demise of our civilisation. I'm a right-wing capitalist, and even I am totally disgusted that library fines are the price they are.

That is absolute crap, and my condolences on you being robbed in advance by the government. They are an invesntive, immoral lot when it comes to extracting people's money.

Make sure you get a student loan to pay the library fine. Then refuse to pay it back for years. It's not as if they are going to charge you interest on it, whereas they seem to do that for library books.

October 21, 2005 5:48 pm  
Blogger ZenTiger said...

Not only invesntive, but insensitive too.

October 21, 2005 5:49 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

I appreciate your condolences. I actually went to the library yesterday, as the 21st day is looming near, BUT it was in fact closed. So at least I tried

October 24, 2005 2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home