Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Friday, February 24, 2006

Old

Those were the days my friend,
We thought they’d never end,
We’d sing and dance,
Forever and a day.

We'd live the life we'd choose,
We'd fight and never lose,
For we were young
And sure to have our way.
Di di di di di di
Di di di di di di
Di di di di di di di di di di


The immortal words of Mary Hopkins (I don’t know who she is either, but somehow I know the song).

It is nearly 8.30 on a Friday night and I am home alone with no plans to go out. And I am HAPPY about it. I went for the weekly drinks-after-work, which we like to call ‘de-briefing’ but when you finish at four that is an early time to start boozing. So I sat in the sun, had a couple of glasses of wine, and then headed home. But the thing is, I really wanted to go home.
So I have come to the conclusion that I am officially an adult.
I’m tired. I want to curl up with a good book in my bed and ignore the world. When did this happen? 3 weeks ago when I got a job. It’s strange, but I guess I had to grow up sometime.
The highlight of my day was debating with fourteen-year-olds about the ‘Bloody Mary’ episode of South Park. Unfortunately we all felt the same way, so I had to play devil’s advocate, but nonetheless it was fun.
See; old.

Di di di di di di
Di di di di di di…

16 Comments:

Blogger Mark T said...

You never grow old....Im 35 but still feel about 18. Maybe you're coming down with a cold?!

And another thing...That episode of South Park is really yucky, but why didn't the NZ catholics moan about the 'Red Hot Catholic Love' episode? Or maybe they did?

February 25, 2006 1:25 am  
Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

have a good night in then

i am goin out!

February 25, 2006 5:08 am  
Blogger Lis said...

I don't know whether we have had the 'red hot catholic love' episode yet, I don't watch much t.v. But this is the only episode that has caused controversy over here. We are quite a liberal country and not too much is censored.

February 25, 2006 11:48 am  
Blogger Lis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2006 11:49 am  
Blogger Mark T said...

Red Hot Catholic Love was *much* worse than Bloody Mary - in my opinion anyway.

February 25, 2006 2:14 pm  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Well, it can't be all bad if schoolkids in New Zealand are 'debating' South Park. Did you hit them with, "YOU MUST RESPECT MY AUTHORATAY!"

February 26, 2006 8:30 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Yeah it did Steve, I should have credited you :)

By the way, that deleted comment was just a repeat of the comment above, don't worry - I'm all for freedom of speech.

February 27, 2006 7:07 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Yeah it did Steve, I should have credited you :)

By the way, that deleted comment was just a repeat of the comment above, don't worry - I'm all for freedom of speech.

February 27, 2006 7:08 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Arrgghhhhhhh, why does it keep doing that to me?

February 27, 2006 7:08 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Having drinks with Tcol peeps, but shouldn't be too long, so could meet you after? Our place is in a bit of a mess as we are in the process of moving, so maybe Kate's would be better. Or we could hang at the new place, except there will me nothing to sit on...

March 01, 2006 6:59 pm  
Blogger Mark T said...

"resists the urge to offer my face" :-)

March 02, 2006 1:23 am  
Blogger Lis said...

You're a dirty beggar. I like the way that by putting a sentence in quotation marks it becomes an internal monologue.

March 02, 2006 12:42 pm  
Blogger Mark T said...

yes I liked it too :-) maybe putting my thoughts in * instead of " would have worked better? Who knows? I think you hit the nail on the head though when you called me a dirty beggar - I had logged on soon after waking up, and before having my first cup of coffee, so I was quite thrilled I posted it, almost on autopilot

You're an English teacher arent you Lis? I almost feel like you were marking my work, and leaving comments in the margin :-)

March 02, 2006 1:51 pm  
Blogger Lis said...

Yeah, I can be annoyingly teachery sometimes (look I just made up an adjective - I can't be that great an English teacher).

And believe me, I have across sentences more shocking than that whilst marking student's work.

March 02, 2006 3:24 pm  
Blogger Vanderelt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 18, 2006 1:22 pm  
Blogger Vanderelt said...

Oops, deleted my previous attempt! I know this is wandering off the current topic a bit, but in case you were vaguely interested, I believe the lyrics in question are actually the immortal words of a little-known songwriter called Paul McCartney - Mary Hopkins was the first singer signed to the Beatles' Apple label and he wrote her debut hit (No. 1 in Britain)... And I know how you feel - 20s are a difficult age to get through when you can't decide if you're feeling your age or not... I'm 26 going on 27 and alternate between feeling about 15 and about 50 depending on which part of my mind's doing the talking!

March 18, 2006 1:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home