Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Driiiiiiiink yourself more Bliss

My Grandmother thinks I drink to much. Now, I'm sure all grandmothers (excluding the alcoholic nanas) think this. But I actually stopped to think: Am I drinking too much?

Today with a class we went through an alcohol advertisement that is on TV at the moment. There is a series of them and their message is 'It's not what we're drinking; it's how we're drinking'. New Zealand has developed some what of a binge culture, and women are being focussed on particularly. With a low drinking age (18 for those non-kiwis)and a reasonably liberal social outlook, our drinking habits are perhaps going too far.

I do try to not drink during the week as it is not easy to face up to noisy teenagers with a hangover. There has been the odd occasion where some of us have headed to the local pub after a particularly bad mid-week day, but that is not too often. However, in the weekend if I decide to drink I DRINK. This is not helped by the company I keep, not that I am exactly blameless either.

Teenagers also drink a hell of a lot. I'm not sure what it's like overseas, but on a Monday I get to hear 14-year-olds discuss how wasted so-and-so was at that party on Saturday, or some unfortunate pupil has to be told what he/she missed when she comaed (I know there is no such word, but this is what they say) out on Friday night. And it doesn't really stop when you get to your 20s. I don't tend to pass out from intoxication anymore, but I still have occasional memory blanks.

So, how much is too much?

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark T said...

You know you've had too much if you spew in someones garden and wake up the next morning on someones kitchen floor with a chicken drumstick in your pants and a plastic spoon up your arse. Thats how I measure my alcohol intake, anyway.

Myself, Mr Goatse and Tony once decided to give up alcohol for a month after a particularly heavy christmas 'silly season' We thought that if we couldn't give up ale for a month, then we probably had a problem. We all did it and didn't miss it all. We found that we slept better through the month, but that was about it.

I reckon that unless you're waking up most days with a blinding hangover, and putting vodka on your cornflakes as a 'milk substitute' then you're probably ok.

July 20, 2006 2:00 am  
Blogger ... said...

Well i don't know about the rest of the world, but over here drinking isn't a sport it's a way of life. It's a daily event. But they don't tend to binge like us Kiwi's. I wonder which way is harder on the body?

July 20, 2006 9:43 am  
Blogger Lis said...

The night I wrote this post I went out for cocktails. I don't think I'm seriously worried about it :)
But it would be interesting to give it up for a month, I haven't had a dry month since I was 16. I'm going to die young.

July 21, 2006 11:01 am  
Blogger Mark T said...

If you give it up for a month, you wont miss it. We were always trying 'body experiments' with Mr G and Tony. Like the time I decided what it would be like to drink 5 litres of water in a 7 hour period. Those buggers actually kept topping up my water bottle when I dashed out for a piss every 5 mins! I actually felt really good drinking that much water - felt very 'on the ball'

Michelle - if you read the tabloids over here, they are convinced we're a nation of binge drinkers and fast food addicts - God knows what NZ is like if it worse over there!

July 22, 2006 2:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who sings that song....drink yourself more bliss???? I love it!

Drink up!!

September 30, 2006 1:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bliss was by The Dudes (Dave Dobyn) Other great songs by The Dudes. "Walking in Light" and "Be mine tonight" which I believe was NZ song of the year in 1979.

January 01, 2007 6:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home