Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Monday, October 03, 2005

Shakespeare geek

The title of my blog is a quote from Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice. The entire quote is delivered by Antonio:

“I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano,
A stage where every man must play a part,
And mine a sad one.”
(I, i, 77-79)

It echoes a more familiar quote from As You Like It; ‘All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players’. Thus begins Jaques’ lengthy soliloquy on the stages of man. It is a theme that seems to have fascinated Shakespeare, as you will find in almost all of his plays there is reference to acting, theatre or even a play within the play.

Antonio is suggesting that one cannot change the world, or even ones own standing, but that we must accept the world as it is and play the part we have been given - by whom is another question (this can lead into a fascinating theme of the play with Antonio being the righteous Christian who hates Shylock for no other reason then being a Jew). In this way he explains away his melancholy state to his concerned friends; he cannot help it, it is his lot in life. I am by no means agreeing with Antonio here, in fact he is one of the most dislikeable non-villains of literature. But the idea that we all have our part to play is one that interests me. We all take on different roles in life, and although I try to be myself wherever I am and whomever I am with, I know I change. The friend Lisa is not the same as the daughter Lisa. The sister Lisa is very different from the teacher Lisa. From person to person I change, not greatly but enough to make me wonder exactly who I am. Am I changing to fit into context? Is it for my benefit, for the other person’s, or both? Think about the roles you play and how many character changes you go through in one day. You will be surprised.

Lastly, if you have not read Shakespeare since school, I challenge you to read one play, or even a sonnet. Within his works you will find insight into human nature that has never been rivalled.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

Obviously we all change to suit the audience or occasion. I think there is a difference between changing roles and becoming someone else. I agree that all (well at least most) roles are just different variations of your core being, I guess the question is WHO is that core being and who gets to experience it? But on the flipside if you are repressing traits that are quite essential to who you are, then you may actually be acting rather then taking a role - if that makes sense. To take a role is just to shift into another position, e.g from mother to colleague. The language you use, tone of speaking, body language, humour and reactions all shift to suit your audience, without completely changing who you are. However actual acting requires you to display traits you don't actually have. For example, Lrav when you supress your confidence and take on a meek personae, I would class that as acting. It is not who you are.

October 04, 2005 5:41 pm  
Blogger A. J. Chesswas said...

lol... John obbviously beat me here. I am a potential Shakespeare buff but have neever really had the time, although I scored some legendary grades back in school.

I am relieved to see your blog title refers to a Shakespearean idea, it actually sounds really panthean. Sometimes I wonder if people unconsciously are merely filling niches when it comes to beliefs and convictions, and that society is forever in a state of flux as people move from community to community, creating and/or filling these niches.

But of course I believe in the one constant that is the grace of God, that at any time can touch our lives, and that at any time a soul can receive. I believe in PREDESTINATION and FREEWILL, not some sort of pantheistic adivine psychological equilibrium..

October 20, 2005 5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home